Majors & Minors

Double Major and Additional (Dual) Degree Forms

A double major allows students to complete majors in two different departments or plans in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources. . To declare a double major, students must complete a Double Major Declaration Form and the Double Major Attachment form.  Students will complete the form (including all required signatures) and submit it to the CAHNR Office of Academic Programs.

An additional/dual degree allows students to complete majors in two different schools or colleges. To declare an additional/dual degree, students must acquire an Additional Degree Petition Form from the Registrar's Office and follow these additional instructions.

View the full requirements for double majors and dual degrees.

Major Change and Concentration Change Forms

Students at the Storrs campus must complete the CAHNR Application to Change: School and/or Major

  • Change from one CAHNR major to a different CAHNR major
  • Change from another UConn school or college into most majors within CAHNR

Students who wish to change their major may meet with faculty/advisors from the new major to develop a preliminary plan of study.

Students who wish to change their concentration within a major can do so using the CAHNR Concentration Change Form.

Advisor Change Form

For students who wish to change their advisor, please use the CAHNR Advisor Change Form.

Non-Degree Application

Non-Degree Study allows individuals who have not been formally accepted into degree-seeking status at the University of Connecticut to take undergraduate or graduate-level credit courses. Classes are offered days, evenings, and weekends at our five campuses and online.

Apply for visiting/non-degree course registration.

Courses & Credits

Most courses and credits forms are found on the Registrars Forms website, the forms available there are:

  • Student Enrollment Request Form
  • Course Credit by Examination
  • Excess Credit Authorization
  • Additional(Dual) Degree Petition
  • Cancellation of Additional (Dual) Degree
  • Cancel Double Major
  • Change Catalog Year
  • Minor Cancellation

View all Forms on the Registars Website

Excess Credits

All students, except first-semester students, are permitted to take up to 17 credits per semester (fall and spring). Students who received a semester GPA of 2.6 or higher in their most recent semester (fall or spring) are eligible to enroll in up to 18 credits.

Students in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources who have received a 2.6 semester GPA or higher in their most recent regular semester and who wish to take more than 18 credits may submit an Excess Credit Request form. You can find the CAHNR excess credit form here. This form is for CAHNR students only. Excess credits are permitted by exception and only after all grades from a student's most recent semester are posted to their undergraduate transcripts.  Students pursuing an additional/dual degree must receive approval from both Colleges to enroll in excess credit.

Under no circumstances are students allowed to enroll in more than 22 credits in any one semester.

Pass/Fail Grading

Students who wish to place a class on pass/fail option during a regular semester (fall and spring) should review the Pass/Fail Policy FAQ.

To place a class on pass/fail option during a regular semester (fall and spring) students complete a Student Enrollment Request form on the Registrars Forms website, selecting the options for Pass/Fail grading, on the Registrar’s Office website by the eleventh week of classes. The specific deadline date can be found on the Academic Calendar.  These dates are different during summer/winter sessions. Please check the Office of Summer and Winter Programs website for guidance.

Courses placed on pass/fail option may not be used to meet major/related/minor or general education requirements (University level or CAHNR). Students must get permission from their advisor to place a class on pass/fail. Students placing more than one course on pass/fail in a single term must also receive permission from a dean's designee in the CAHNR Office of Academic Programs.

There are no exceptions made to the pass/fail deadline. Please be aware of the academic calendar deadline dates.

Permission to Repeat a Course for a Third Time

Students who wish to repeat a course for a third time may do so with permission from the instructor and the student’s advising director, and by submitting a Student Enrollment Request form to the Registrar's Office. Please note that if a student repeats and fails a course that they previously passed, it can result in loss of credit.

Student Enrollment Request Form

Students use the Student Enrollment Request form on the Registrars website to request the following changes:

  • Late Add
  • Time Conflict
  • Audit a Course
  • Repeat a Course for a Third time
  • Add Independent Study
  • Add Research
  • Add Internship
  • Section Swap
  • Add/Revise Project Title
  • Adjust Credits
  • Place a Course on Pass/Fail
  • Remove a Course from Pass/Fail
  • Withdraw from a course

Students who wish to add a class between the 10th day and fourth week of the semester; or drop a class after the 10th day but before the 11th week of the semester must complete a Student Enrollment Request Form through the Registrar's Office.

Students adding a class between the 10th day and 4th week of the term need the permission of their instructor, their advisor, and the head of the department in which the course is taught. To drop a class anytime between the 10th day and the 11th week of the semester, students need approval from their advisor and a dean's designee (CAHNR Office of Academic Programs). Students who wish to drop two courses or more must also get permission from a dean’s designee in the CAHNR Office of Academic Programs.

Request to Withdraw/Drop a Course After the 11th Week

**Form is only available in meeting with a CAHNR Office of Academic Programs Academic Advisor**


Students must officially drop the course/s prior to the eleventh week of classes or risk receiving a failing grade. Students may drop a course after the eleventh week of classes by exception of the student’s Academic Dean or Dean’s designee only. Exceptions are only made for significant extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control that prevented the student from withdrawing by the published University Deadline, as outlined by Academic Calendar. Full regulations regarding “Adding or Dropping Courses” can be found in the UConn Undergraduate Catalog. The purpose of this procedure is to ensure careful consideration of requests for late drops.

Failure to follow procedures in a timely manner may result in denial of the request. Poor academic performance, being unaware of deadlines, and/or not attending classes are not an acceptable basis for dropping a class after the eleventh week.


Dropping below Full-Time Status may affect:
  • Financial Aid Eligibility
  • International Student Status (F-!, J-1, Federal regulations requires international student to be full=time students at all times, please see your International Advisor in the International Student & Scholars Services Office before submitting this request).
  • Scholarships (including ROTC scholarships)
  • Veterans Benefits
  • NCAA Eligibility


    • Meet with an Office of Academic Programs Advisor (In this meeting, students receive the required request form, discuss reasons for the late drop and learn the timeline for the
      Late Drop Committee to review with a CAHNR Academic Advisor.)
    • Meet with your faculty/departmental/major advisor
    • Receive all required signatures & comments
    • Complete a typed summary of your circumstances that includes the following information:
      • Why are you requesting to drop this particular course(s) and not others?
      • The extenuating circumstances that you feel warrant an exemption past the eleventh week.
      • What prevented you from dropping the course prior to the 11th week deadline?
      • The specific dates (a timeline) in which the extenuating circumstances occurred.
      • What related resources have you used here at UConn or off-campus?
    • Supporting documentation
    • Submit completed form to CAHNR Academic Programs, W.B. Young Room 206 o The CAHNR/RHSA Late Drop Committee meets on a weekly basis.
**Students are responsible for attending classes until a decision is communicated to them via email.**

Substitution Request Form

This form is for advisors only to complete. Students who wish to have a course substituted for a major requirement may have their advisor complete a Substitution Request Form in consultation with their major advisor. Please be prepared to provide a copy of the syllabus (in English) for review and in some cases, a justification statement may be requested.

Additional Forms

Application to Move from A.A.S. Degree Program to B.A./B.S. Program in CAHNR

RHSA (A.A.S.) students must complete the A.A.S. program to be eligible to move to the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources or other baccalaureate degree programs of the University.


  • In order to facilitate transfer processing and priority enrollment in courses for the baccalaureate degree program, students are encouraged to submit completed applications by:

October 1 for Spring Semester transfer
February 10 for Fall Semester transfer
*Applications received after these dates will be considered on a case-by-case basis.*


  • The minimum cumulative GPA for transfer is 2.7. Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the end of their third semester (or equivalent) in the program will be eligible for earlier approval and enrollment in baccalaureate courses.
  • Students transferring from RHSA to a baccalaureate degree program at the University of Connecticut will receive transfer credit for all credits earned with a grade of C or higher,
    except that no credit will be given for any course graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory or Pass/Fail.
  • Applicants must Apply to Graduate and submit an A.A.S. Final Plan of Study through StudentAdmin.


  1. Complete and submit RHSA to CAHNR Application
  2. Include a personal statement relating to your activities and accomplishments in RHSA, and your interestes and goals relating to your transfer into a B.A./B.S. major in CAHNR
  3. Submit a current resume



  • Students applying to baccalaureate degree programs other than majors in CAHNR need to apply through the UConn Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
    • Students should let an Academic Advisor in the CAHNR Office of Academic Programs know of their plans.

Financial Assistance for Student Academic Travel

Several benefactors of the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture (RHSA), and the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR) have contributed funds to be used for augmenting student learning. Specifically, monies have been donated to assist students with domestic and/or international travel associated with their academic training.

The CAHNR Office of Academic Programs manages these funds and makes them available to students through a competitive process.

How Do I Apply For Funds?

Students should complete the form below which best addresses the purpose of their request.  Requests can be made at any time during the year and we recommend submission at the earliest possible date.

  1. Student Financial Support Request Form